19 November 2006

Wicked, but not mean really.

Mobile phones are lovely, fun and lately necessary things.

For years I fought getting one. However, I have acclimated quite well to the nuisance.

In OZ. I paid a fee. I texted and rang to my merry delight. Texting more than ringing, b/c it was quick and somewhat removed and clever.

In TX. I pay a fee. And the service providers charge and roam and this bit and that bit and times and what not and so I pay more and I don't text at all because no one I know over here does. Slightly less fun.

So I have this new little flippy phone. They gave me the number when I signed up for the service. Actually, Arti - phone service guy, he let me pick which number I wanted out of a list of 30 which he read off to me from his little screen. Ok so maybe it was only a choice of 10, but it sounded like 30 when each number has 10 digits to it. All I could think is I want the one that'll be easy for the kids to remember. No one else remembers numbers anymore they just program them into their phones and direct dial. I am guilty of that one as well, although I retain some numbers in my head forever. Some are important to my heart and others like the number for Pizza Hut in Australia are just stuck there, when I am quite aged and my red hair has turned gray and fallen out I am pretty sure I'll still be able to sing 3892 1111 with the catchy little diddy.

I picked my number. It is easy to recall.

It is remarkabley close to a local taxi service number in the town in which I live now. This fact is now etched into my mind. Never do I get the call for a taxi ride in the afternoon. Or morning. Or evening even. Always the phone rings at a hideous hour, usually shortly after I have managed to fall asleep.

1 somethingish am. I let it ring out. They rang back twice. The third time I answered. Now I am not sure if it was the late hour, my irritability, or sense of humour that caused me to do it. He said they needed a ride, from Northgate. I agreed in my funky australian texan accent. "right-o, no problem." I asked had they had a lovely evening, enjoyed the game, had a fun night out on the town? Yada-yada. Told him I'd be right on that run.

I hung up and went straight on back to bed.

I am sure he'd be fine, I could hear the giggling in the background, at least he had company while he waited for his taxi.

Only slightly wicked.

No comments: