15 August 2006

last day of summer

I love the summer! Kids playing, staying up late, sleeping in, popcorn at all hours of the day, reading as many books as we can squeeze in, swimming, swimming, and more swimming.

We have only had two weeks officially of summer, but we've have sure loved it!

So today was our last day of summer. We slept late, played some games, floated in a friends blissful pool, ate pizza and brownies, lamented the fact that school starts tomorrow. If that's not a nice way to finish off the summer, I don't know what is.

As a mum, a not nice way to finish off the summer was the mad-house shopping on the eve of school commensing, even if I did go with two friends. I only needed dry erase markers, 3 pencil cases and black gym shorts and white t-shirts. My friends needed lots of other stuff. It turned into a marathon. 3 shops, 2 Sonic drinks and only 2 little bags later (for me anyway), a fair amount of laughter and we were done.

I can't say I am calm. I am not.

My boys are nervous, I am nervous. My sweet girl is not, she gets an extra week holidays, her school doesn't start for a week, she and I are equally thankful. I don't want them to struggle to be understood, I know they will though. I want them to ask questions about the things they don't understand, for the most part I am pretty sure they won't. I want them to have fun. I want them to make lots of friends. I just want it to all go smoothly. I hope the intermediateboy gets a great locker and cool mates to sit near. I hope elementaryboy finds a great mate to play with at recess. And I hope imperial maths comes easy to them both!
___________________________________________________________________

House buying. I know the one I want now I just have to charm the bank into loaning me the money for it. So easily said.

Car buying. I've got my eye on one, I just need to wait until after the bank loans me the money for the house and then I can skippity-do-da over the the car place and purchase my lovely little second hand beauty.

Job-hunting. I am hopeful. There's a plan. Get the kids in school, a house and then tackle the job.

I got a mobile phone. I burst the poor little sales guys bubble. Do I want it to take photos? Do I want it to text message? Do I want it to play music? Do I want it email? GPS? Wash the dishes? Find me a bloke? Change the oil? Raise my kids? Track my kids? The poor bloke. I told him I wanted the phone to make calls and receive calls. And I did not wish to have the million minute plan. Practical and boring. But it works for me. So now I have a phone. The number is easy to remember, and it takes photos and I did not have to pay for that bit. Happy.
___________________________________________________________________

My phone has a picture on the screen. It is a beach. Some bits of Australia just stick like sand to your sunkissed toes.

No comments: