22 September 2006

At times it makes me crazy.

I whinge about it. They break all the time. It is tired and crabby like a disfunctional teenager, occassionally just deciding on a whim life is just too hard and it willfully, or so it seems, chooses not to function properly. It runs too slow, misplaces important items -never to return them, manipulates important files so that they can never be sent in any format, and periodically just shuts down whether in the middle of something or not.

But really, secretly, I LOVE IT.

My computer. I NEVER ever could have survived an international move without it. Much less two.

Tonight modern technology has once again brought that goofy happy grin to my face. After, yes it has been two months, without our own computer with a broadband connection, we are once again IN THE BUILDING! Woowaw. I feel I should run and pop my pretty heels on just to type. The computer arrived via UPS, the poor cable guy came over yesterday to drop a new line in -yes I want the broadband on that wall- it was less than perfect, he ended up calling two of his mates to come a help him. I like the texturing on the wall, honestly I had no idea it would be so difficult. So he spent a large portion of the 4 hours he was here in the attic. Truely not my fault, no matter which wall I wanted the broadband on, he was going to be in the attic. Cableguy also delivered my cable connection - we now have soccer. Woo-hoo! The boys have watched part of two English Premiership matches today alone, they also attended school and did their homework, chatted online and attended soccer training. So last night I installed the software so we could chat with folks, and then I felt I must test it out and make sure it was working alright - you know just so the kids wouldn't get frustrated when they tried to talk to their mates today. I was testing it out til way on up in the morning ... it was a decent hour in Australia, unfortunately that is not the time zone we're living in, so I was very tired today at work, and at the shops. They say never buy groceries on an empty stomach, I think I might ammend that for our family.... never shop on a tired brain. I think we might just be eating waffles, risotto and fruit for the rest of this week. I have no idea what ended up in the trolley. Jam I think, you can put it with lots of stuff and make a meal right?

So anyway. Technology makes me happy. I am exhausted, however, tonight, due to modern advances, I clicked a button on the msn chat, and talked with my English friend who lives in Australia for free. A little Creative microphone& webcam, Dell's lovely shiny silver speakers that arrived with a woofer (who knew?) And it sounded like we were just right there beside each other. I could close my eyes and pretend we were going for our Friday walk through Toohey forest, and talking over the week's happenings and life and what was thrown at us that week.

Once again I am reminded that while sometimes I whinge and grump and try and give my cranky away over the blasted computer, today it has made me smile a little goofy for quite a little bit.

No comments: