03 October 2006

Ick.

Three shootings in one week. And people wonder about why guns make us so nervous? Seems fairly straight forward to me.

I ride my bike up the road to meet one of my sons on his way home from school each day. I watch him cross the road with the lollipop lady, and hear him say good afternoon to her, and then we chat all the way home. So today, he waves and smiles, always happy to see me there looking goobey on my bike. He crosses the street, and we turn around to head home. Both of us nearly fall off our bikes. There is a motorbike traffic cop sitting there, and he pointing something. Now our little sheltered Australian minds freaked out. He was only pointing a radar gun at the traffic to see if anybody was speeding in the school zone, but it looked like a gun. He noticed our jump and startled looks and said "It's allll-rIght. It's alll-rIght."

We are sheltered. I am glad. I hope we stay that way. We might have to avoid the tv, where every third ad is for the army or the military of some sort.

Ick.

No comments: