26 October 2006

Picking up a little bit of ugly.

So yesterday I picked up my youngest and headed to the orthodontist.

I have never taken a class in dental anatomy, however, I am fairly certain that I could have found an itty bitty piece of plastic and stuffed it between her last two molars. I might have even been able to come up with some royal blue plastic to stuff in there. I didn't though.

And lucky because then I would have robbed said child of the chance to perform the human Pez dispenser trick, you know the flip top head?
____________________________________________________________________

We went shoe shopping, well because that is what sunny Tuesday afternoons were made for and I am bringing my baby up right. I rang my mum on the way to check on a couple flight coupons she is picking up for me, we chatted, it was nice, she's working but happy with that. Finished the call, we went into the shop, we hunted, tried on funny shoes, pretty shoes, practical shoes and enormously high heels, a girl has to learn just how it is done.

Halfway up the athletic shoe aisle my phone rang.

It was mum. And went something like this...

mum hi honey!
(cheery voice I have come to recognize over the years as signalling a bomb alert)
me hi mum.

mum well I haven't told you yet, because I know you don't approve of what I do sometimes ...

me mum you are a grownup and make your own choices, my not necessarily making the same choice as you is not judgement on what you do or don't do it is just us being different

mum so I told your sister already, so I need to tell you too. look I want you to know I that I have met somebody, his name is Phil, Phillip, Phil, and he's really nice and he treats me like a princess, and he is really sweet and he's retired and 10yrs older than me. So he doesn't work anymore.

(this is the bit where I am thinking that suddenly my mum has morphed into a teenager again)

me that's nice mum, I am glad you are happy, thanks for telling me.

mum we think we might come up and visit this week...

We talked for a bit longer, she revisited the retired bit, and how lovely he is to her, told me where he lives, etc. I thanked her again for telling me.

Now I am a glass half full kind of girl. I prefer to look at the positives. I am positive that at present my mum is very happy. She is very happy to merrily give her heart away. I understand, it's cold outside, it is nice to have someone to cuddle up to and chat with about life and all. I just think that it might be a good idea to maybe step back and not approach dating at mach speed, where you end up with his and her towels, and your heart broken after just a little bit. I hope he is nice and sweet and kind and fun. I wish for the best. I will listen as my mum twitters like a 14 yr old about how great every thing is, and if it works for the long run - fabulous, and if not I pick up the pieces again as the drama unfolds if another man breaks her heart. At least this time I am in the right hemisphere. There's a glass half full for you.

The shoe shop sells ugly. They are clogs with holes in them made out of foam. They are tangerine orange. I bought them so I can photograph her and bring the picture out at her 21st. Crocs. yippie.

No comments: